Personal note: Thanks for visiting to learn more about summer camps in Wilmington NC! We have a great list for you. We are so lucky to have found an incredible summer camp and after-school program called Fitness After School Training (FAST). Mike and Jennifer Young run this camp and focus on sports, fitness, and all around fun things to do. We love it, and more importantly our sons love it
Looking for some exciting summer camps in Wilmington for your kids to attend while school’s out? There are so many opportunities to choose from for fun summer break activities for kids in Wilmington. These summer camp programs may be half day, full day, or residential sleep-over camps. Whether you’re looking for an athletic clinic, academic camp, or nature adventure, these are some suggestions to help you find the right camp for your kids.
The YMCA and the YWCA are great resources for fun summer camps. The YMCA offers a variety of sport specific camps that give kids a chance to develop their skills, make new friends, and have a blast. At the YWCA your child can enjoy a well rounded day camp experience that includes swimming, a variety of activities, and local field trips.
Does your child want to learn to surf? There are some excellent surf camp programs that can help. The WB Surf Camp has been running camps at Wrightsville Beach for over 10 years. They have learn to surf camps for kids 6 years old and older, and they also have marine science camps for kids that are interested in learning more about our coastal environment. Crystal South Surf Camp is a place where kids can learn basic surfing skills, safety, and etiquette from experienced local surfers. Crystal South was founded by surfing champion Jo Pickett, and operates at the south end of Wrightsville Beach near Crystal Pier. Indo Jax is another local surf school. They are committed to low student to instructor ratios and have camps and lessons in Wrightsville Beach, Topsail Island, Oak Island, and Onslow Beach.
Kids that want to explore life in our coastal environment might enjoy attending a camp through the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher. Their students from ages 5 to 14 can learn and have fun this summer in themed camps including: Wildlife Rescuers, Animal Keepers, Extreme Animals, Predator vs. Prey, and Coastal Crusaders. UNCW also offers marine science camps through their MarineQuest Program. You can choose a half day or a full day camp focused on marine science and environmental education. MarineQuest even offers a SCUBA Diving Camp for kids ages 14 – 17.
Students can take advantage of educational summer camp opportunities that are available through UNCW’s summer Youth Programs. There are half day and full day camps that focus on athletics, history, chemistry and forensics, art, engineering and robotics, business, and design theater.
School and Church Camps
Many schools and churches offer excellent summer camp programs as well. Some you may want to check out are:
- Friends School – weeklong camps for children ages 2 – 14 with themes such as Art in the Outdoors, Great Green Growing Camp, and Dinosaur Dig.
- Cape Fear Academy – day camps that focus on sports, academics, or other enrichment opportunities.
- Myrtle Grove Presbyterian Church Powercamp – Sport centered summer program where kids can develop skills in a variety of sports and activities for a weeklong session or all summer.
Send your children to Kids’ College at Cape Fear Community College. There are summer camps in week long sessions with different themes like handmade gifts and crafts, film making, science, pottery, and cake decorating. Now CFCC Kids College even offers a summer camp program called Awesome Fit that’s specifically tailored to meet the needs of autistic youth.
Camp Dixie is a lakeside Christian summer camp located in Fayetteville, NC. Campers can enjoy kayaking and canoeing, swimming, the giant water slide, great music, and campfires. Camp Dixie accepts students in grades 2 through 12.
YMCA Camp Hanes is a residential summer camp that offers students exciting age appropriate activities that build confidence. Kids can attend Climbers for ages 6 – 9, Mountaineers for ages 10 – 12, and Explorers for ages 13 – 15. Camp Hanes is located in King, NC near Winston-Salem.
Camp Sea Gull for boys and Camp Seafarer for girls are sailing camps located in Arapahoe, NC for children ages 6 – 16. They offer mostly 4 week summer camp programs, but there are other options available including: 1 and 2 week camps, weekend family camps, a sailing in the Caribbean program, and even summer camp program that travels to Peru.
Here’s a list of some of the camps offered in the area. Let us know if you offer a camp you’d like added to the list.
- Fitness After School Training (FAST)
- Guppy Camp from WB Surf Camp
- Sea Turtle Camp Overnight Camp
- Longwave Yoga Camp
- Basketball by the Sea
- Cape Fear Museum Half Day Camps
- Cameron Art Museum Camp
- Cape Fear Academy Camp
- Cape Fear Summer Fencing Camps
- Y.E.S. Camps at Brunswick Community College
- Camp Kanata Overnight Camp
- Camp Sea Gull and Camp Seafarer Sailing Camp
- Hanover Stables Horseback Riding Camp
- Carolina Gymnastics Camps
- Port City Gymnastics Summer Camps
- Mad Science Camps
- Montessori Marine Science
- UNCW Marine Quest Camps
- Broadway on 2nd Street Arts Camp
- Wilmington Hammerheads Summer Soccer Camps
- City of Wilmington Camps (Day Camp. Basketball Camp, Special Olympics Camp, Skate Camp, Tennis Camp, Nature Art Camps at Halyburton, and more)
- YWCA Summer Eco-Camp
- No Sleeves Magic Camp
- NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher Camps
- New Hanover County Schools Arts Enrichment Camps
- Wilmington Christian Academy Summer Camps
Have a happy and safe summer!!