The Copper Penny
The Copper Penny is located on Chestnut Street close to the Cape Fear River in Historic Downtown Wilmington, NC. They serve both lunch and dinner and are open later into the evening for drinks.
The “Penny” is a local favorite and and offers some of the best pub fare in the city. The vibe is very casual and kid friendly (they provide crayons and coloring options for young children). The staff at the Penny is wonderful and they’ve won numerous “Best Staff” awards from the local entertainment magazine, ENCORE. We’ve shared orders, asked for substitutions, had the kids’ food brought out first, split checks – you name it – and they’ve always been very friendly and gracious.
The Copper Penny has one of the largest beer selections in town (bottled and draft) including some harder to find high gravity offerings and lots of options from North Carolina brewers. If you are looking for a casual lunch or dinner in Wilmington, we highly recommend a trip to the Copper Penny.
109 Chestnut Street
Wilmington, NC 28401
- It’s an Eagles bar and the place is usually busy on Sundays during the NFL season.
- There is a limited amount of outdoor seating available.
- It’s not a college bar. You’ll find a very diverse mix of people at various ages.
- Parking downtown can be tight on the weekends. If you cannot find a spot, trying driving around to Walnut (between 2nd and 3rd).
- They always seem to have sports on TV (with the sound off).
- They have a jukebox.
- It can be a little loud on busy nights so it maybe not the perfect spot for a quiet, romantic dinner on a Saturday night.
- You can like their Facebook page to get their daily specials.
- Mondays after 4:00 is Family Night. Two kids meals are free per adult entrée purchased.
- Leave your business card with them for a chance to win a free weekday lunch for four!
- The owners, Brian and Christine, are very nice folks and we encourage you to support their business.
Our Two Cents
Meg’s Favorite: 109 Chestnut Chicken Sandwich
Anna’s Favorite: 109 Chestnut Chicken Sandwich and/or Seared Tuna Salad
Billy’ Favorite: 109 Chestnut Chicken Sandwich and/or Philly Cheesesteak
(see a pattern here?)
Nat’s Favorite: Chicken Cheesesteak and/or Wings (naked)
Here’s the Menu